Monthly Archives: August 2014
On the day of that marked the 26 anniversary of my birth, I sat in my leopard hoodie footie and spent the day listening to the rain, reading, making pizza, eating cupcakes, and feeling no closer to being an adult that I did on the day I turned 18. Earlier in the week my friends asked how I would be celebrating I would simply laugh, and smile. Nothing. I would be doing nothing for my birthday. “But why?!?” They chorused loudly, unable to understand my protestations of small fetes or intimate dinners. The truth is, that for the first time, I just didn’t feel like admitting that I was another year older. So what did I end up doing? Shopping with my sister and pizza making with my family. And you know what? It has been a pretty darn great birthday. I got three new pairs of shoes, several comic books, a book on etymology, two linguistic books (my latest and greatest interest), a very large novel, and a visit to Build-A-Bear that enabled me to add one more My Little Pony to my collection. I may now be 26 but my taste still lies with that of an 8 year old – that now makes three My Little Ponies (in stuffed animal form, at least) and god knows how many comic books.
Admitting my age is not fun anymore but I must admit that the year leading up to this birthday has been filled with purpose and drive. No longer do I sit around wondering what I will do with my life, instead I have been taking steps towards fulfilling my life goals and actually crossing items off that nice long task list I have. It only took me eight long years to come up with my life goals and, honestly, they have changed one or two thousand times but I finally think I have landed on some solid goals that actually go along with everything that I stand for and want to accomplish. My first major step towards achieving these goals was deciding on a major and enrolling in school again. Check and check. I will officially be starting school again on the 25th with a major in Green Interior and Architectural Design and will be talking to a different school about enrolling in a program that will allow me to study business with an emphasis in innovation and entrepreneurial studies. Focusing on just one thing is just not my style…I thought about only one major but that lasted about as long as it took for me to register for classes.
In my productive state of school applying and class registering I decided I should add even more fun learning activities to my life because surely I had time to, say, learn a new language! But where would I find this time? I asked myself after a few days of NOT doing anything nearly as productive as I had so made myself believe I was capable of. Where did the time go? What did I spend my days doing? How do people get so much done?!? I decided it was time to take account of what I did during my days and document exactly what consumed my oh-so-precious time. Facebook. That’s what. Do you ever make not of how many times a day you check your Facebook? Or how many times you want to just look it at it for a few minutes because your phone has alerted you to some form of activity on your page and 20 minutes later you realize that it’s, well, 20 minutes later and you are now far too informed on your friends lives inner workings. What’s a girl to do? My initial idea was to deactivate my Facebook altogether because who needs it?!? Not me! Or so I thought. Apparently my friends and, more importantly, my sister, disagree. What’s the next best thing? Removing the app from my phone. Have I done this yet? No. Instead I have switched from checking Facebook when I’m bored to checking my email and actually reading the information contained in the numerous newsletters I convinced myself contained information I would be interested in but never actually took the time to peruse. Guess what? I am interested in the information I have been ignoring for all these years. For a person so thirsty for knowledge I sure have been allowing myself to claim ignorance far longer than I anyone should. FOCUS, Sara, focus!! This has become my new mantra, especially while at work. Why?
It’s simple, really. To continue my quest for productivity (kind of) I give you…My Current Obsessions!!! They are as follows:
1) Erin Condren – I had been wanting a planner for awhile feeling that if I was able to write down everything that came to mind as it came to mind that I would be much more productive (I’m sorry, this post has a key term). I have had my Erin Condren Life Planner for a week and I have already seen a difference. I know what you’re probably thinking, “don’t you have a phone?” Yes, yes I do have a phone. And I have often written down random ideas and made many a list. But guess what…there it stays. In my note app. Sitting in wait. Instead I bought THIS beauty and now get to be inspired each and every day by bright, happy colors and inspirational quotes. And what girl doesn’t love that?!?
2) Radio Lingua – After thinking I could use the all knowing Google to find a language program based solely in audio lessons I gave up and decided I would take a different approach. Enter – PODCASTS!!!! I have never listened to a podcast in my life so I wasn’t really sure if this would be my pot of gold or not. Turns out it was. The first language program I came across was Coffee Break French. Had coffee not been in the name I probably wouldn’t have been interested. The best part? You can buy the lessons and get pdf files and videos that correspond with each podcast. All for much, much, cheaper than that certain uber popular yellow boxed language program. They also have OneMinute [insert your desired language here] and it only cost…like…practically nothing!! OMG, I want. My two favorite language options? Flemish and Luxembourgish!!!! That is in addition to my top two desired languages to learn – Arabic and Russian. You can buy all 21 language courses as a bundle. HAPPENING!!
3) Pee and Poo – If you know me really too incredibly well then you know how oddly fascinated I am with…how do I put this delicately? The inner workings of the human body including the all important BM’s. I am oddly connected with my body and always know what I need to put in it to cure whatever ails me at the moment. Except ennui. Nothing seems to help ennui. Except chocolate. But only until it’s gone. Anyway. I found Pee and Poo and have wanted them ever since!! How cute are they?!? I mean, I’m already potty trained so I don’t need them for their intended purpose, but I do still enjoy a good stuffed animal and to be completely honest I would love to be able to randomly yell, “I need my poo!!” in a moment of anxiety induced panic that results in an immediate desire to be embracing something plush and comforting.
4) The perfect chocolate chip cookie – I have been on the search for the perfect recipe and therefore cookie for years now. Recently I tried the recipe from the Cooks Country baking cookbook and they sucked (just an fyi here, the link doesn’t really work since you have to sign up to use their website, but if you happen to be a Cooks Country member then you will be privy to the recipe). They were not ooey gooey like they were supposed to be and they tasted of something I couldn’t quite put my finger on. My parents thought they were just fine, but my sister and I are harsher critics. I am thinking of trying the New York Times recipe next. If anyone has suggestions, please feel free to bombard me with recipe links.
5) Naked Truth Beauty Blog – I have always enjoyed making things on my own. I hate the idea of spending money on something I could do or make myself and it just so happens that someone I went to college with started this wonderful blog. Now, instead of scouring the internet looking for the best home made beauty products, I can just reference what she has written!! It is so much nicer when you (kind of) know the person writing the blog. It’s so much easier to trust them!!
Tune in next time to find out what else has been occupying my time and, probably, learn how my first week back in class has been! You’re hooked already, aren’t you?